What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is that it is a way of making money online whereby you as a publisher are rewarded for helping a business by promoting their product, service or site.
Where you earn an amount for referring a visitor who takes some kind of action – for example when they sign up for something and give an email address, where they complete a survey, where they leave a name and address etc.
Commissions are often a percentage of a sale but can also be a fixed amount per conversion.
Conversions are generally tracked when the publisher (you) uses a link with a code only being used by you embedded into it that enables the advertiser to track where conversions come from (usually by cookies). Other times an advertiser might give a publisher a ‘coupon code’ for their readers to use that helps to track conversions.
Affiliate marketing is a win-win situation for all like Customers, Referrer and Product owners.
- Customers – They are happy cause they will know about the product from you that will hopefully fulfill a need or desire and maybe got the desired product at a discount price.
- Referrers – Referrers (you) are happy cause you will earn money without invest.
- Product owners – They are happy cause they got a sale and expand their business that they might not have normally been able to reach.
Most Important Rule for Affiliate Marketing
Yeah, there is a rule to make affiliate marketing successful. It’s not mandatory but these will helpful to grow your income tremendously I also do this.
- Only recommend products as an affiliate that You are extremely very familiar with – preferably products that You have used before and have helped you achieve something. If you are not confident in the product and You don’t feel it will positively help people,Then don’t promote it only for getting the commission. This will leave a big negative impact on next and overall earnings you will loose some big amount for a small commission.
- Personally, I never directly tell anyone to buy a product. I always recommend products based on my experience and in the context of what I’ve done or what I’m doing.
Honest affiliate marketing has always worked best for me, so I suggest you do the same.
Why Affiliate Marketing Can Work Well on Blogs
Affiliate marketing isn’t the only way to make money from blogs and it won’t suit every blog/blogger but there are a few reasons why it can be profitable in our medium. Perhaps the biggest of these reasons is that affiliate marketing seems to work best when there’s a relationship with trust between the publisher and their readership.
I’ve found that as this trust deepens that readers are more likely to follow the recommendations that a blogger makes.
Of course, this can also be a negative with affiliate marketing – promote the wrong product and trust can be broken
Why Publisher and Advertiser prefer Affiliate marketing
- Advertisers prefer affiliate marketing as a way to promote their products because they know they’ll only need to pay for the advertising when there’s a conversion unlike PPC , have to pay for a click.
- Publishers prefer affiliate marketing because if they find a product that is relevant to their niche that earnings can go well in excess of any cost per click or cost per impression advertising campaign.
Which factors Affiliate marketing lays on?
While affiliate marketing can be incredibly lucrative it is important to know that affiliate marketing is not easy money. Most people who try it make very little as it relies on numerous factors including:
- traffic (high traffic helps a lot)
- finding relevant products
- finding quality products
- building trust with your readers
- having a readership who is in a ‘buying mood’
- you being able to write good sales copy (and more)
So in Simple words, Many online companies who sell products such as shoes, web hosting space or any service, offer an affiliate program. You can simply sign up for the program and get your unique tracking link. Now, whenever you are writing about the product, you can simply use this special tracking affiliate link to recommend the company’s site, and if your readers buy anything, you will get a commission.
Every affiliate program has a set TOS. For example, many of them offer a 60-day cookie period, which means that if a visitor uses your special affiliate link to land on the sales page of the site and instead of buying today, he buys at some point within the next 60 days, you will be entitled to the sales commission.
Question and Answer on Affiliate Marketing
Now, let me answer some of the common questions asked by webmasters and marketers & my readers where affiliate marketing is concerned:
Is affiliate marketing harmful or illegal?
No, it is neither harmful nor illegal, as you will simply be using the particular link provided to you rather than a direct link to link to any site.
Affiliate marketing and Adsense: Can we use both?
Yes, you can because affiliate marketing does not violate any Adsense TOS. In fact, for me, affiliate marketing works better than Adsense.
How do I find an affiliate link for any product?
Not all companies offer an affiliate program, of course, but for those that do offer affiliate programs, you can check their website for related information. When searching, be sure to check the company’s FAQ page if they have one.
Another way find this information to do a simple Google search. For example, one could place the following phrase into the Google search engine: “product name + affiliate program“. Replace product name with the name of the product you are promoting, and this should bring you to the landing page. Many companies use an affiliate marketplace like ShareASale, CJ, or Clickbank. These are free to use and allow you to create a free account.
How to find new products to promote?
Affiliate marketplaces such as those mentioned above are the best places to start your affiliate marketing research. You can browse your niche and see the top performing affiliate programs. Alternatively, many niche-based forums are great places to find new products to promote. For example, I often use Warriorforum to find products related to IM and blogging niches.
Is it important to have a blog for affiliate promotion?
Not necessarily, however, a blog is really the best promotional tool. With that said, you can always use methods such as PPC or advertising to promote a product as well. This is more like hit-and-run affiliate marketing, however. The best way to make the most of your affiliate marketing opportunities is to have a blog and use it for hard and soft promotion.
How much does it cost to join an affiliate program?
There is no charge for joining an affiliate program, however, your total cost depends on what promotion technique you are using. For example, a blog post doesn’t cost a dime whereas PPC marketing, email marketing or advertising come with various price tags.
What qualifications do I need to become an affiliate marketer?
There is literally no qualification required to become an affiliate marketer though having good copywriting skills and marketing skills will be an added advantage.
Are there programs available which automatically converts links into affiliate links?
How much money can one make from affiliate marketing?
As I mentioned above, there is no limit to the amount of money you can earn from affiliate programs. It all depends on which program you’re promoting and how many conversions you are making.
I hope this beginner’s guide to affiliate marketing will help you to get started. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask me in the comments section below and found helpful then share.